Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NR Eng Interview as a Chemical Engineer
honeypot

Author Topic: NR Eng Interview as a Chemical Engineer  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Tzel

• Very Lite User
NR Eng Interview as a Chemical Engineer
« on: Mar 16, 2012, 03:50 »
As the title states, I am going for my interview for NR Engineer and my background is a BSE in chemical engineering from the University of Pennsylvania.  I graduated with a 3.57/4.00 overall (3.75/4.00 in major - 13 courses).  I did a search, but the relevant posts were for Surface/Subs and from 1+ years ago.

Does anyone have experience with being either the interviewee or interviewer for NR Engineer with a chemical engineering background?  What subject areas aside from the basic physics and calculus would you consider most likely to come up for someone with my background?  My phone interview questions were mostly simple and short:
1) derive the volume of a cone with calc
2) integrate something by parts
3) find the rate of change of the radius of a shrinking sphere
4) simple fluids problem with water coming out of the bottom of a tank
5) simple circuit with only a battery and resistors (series and parallel)
6) simple physics problem with a block sliding on a surface with friction

Nothing from any of my chemE courses or higher level math courses that I took.

I was not allowed a calculator for the phone interview portion - will calculators be provided on the actual interview or not?  If not, this definitely restricts the complexity of the questions asked, especially in areas like heat transfer where the formulas for finding things like heat transfer coefficients are empirically derived and involve lots of fractional exponents, but I was surprised that simple ones were not asked initially.

I am somewhat concerned about my Admiral interview; I graduated in May 2008 but have been in an MD/PhD program since then, though I do not intend to complete it if I am selected.  It was more my parents' dream than mine, but they did pay for my schooling so I could graduate debt-free - I owed it a solid try, even if I disliked every minute of it.

My interview in this week, so I'm probably stressing about it more than I need to, but any last minute advice is appreciated.  Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: Mar 16, 2012, 04:03 by Tzel »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: NR Eng Interview as a Chemical Engineer
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2012, 04:03 »
Read through the posts of this user;

greenbean

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=26213;sa=showPosts

most users on this site with NR credentials or experience chimed in on greenbean's threads, you can figure out who to PM from there,...

good luck,.... 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Tzel

• Very Lite User
Re: NR Eng Interview as a Chemical Engineer
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2012, 05:36 »
Thanks!  Gonna keep hitting the books until Tuesday :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?