Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu looking for advice  

Author Topic: looking for advice  (Read 17317 times)

Offline merchantg

• Light User
Re: looking for advice
« Reply #25 on: Sep 08, 2009, 12:16 »
LMAO I just noticed the quote HydroDave is using as his signature!

Man you have a ton of things that are quote worthy.

Like this gem
"To be honest going into the Navy with a Nuclear Engineering Degree is like getting a free meal at the best 5 Star Steak Place in the state, then ordering a fried bologna sandwich and a glass of warm water."

But to answer OP's question get your friggin degree while your in. Don't waste your time on stupid shit. Work on core classes first as they are needed for any B.S. just in case you change majors like any indecisive person does and will. Knock out a NET degree from someplace like Thomas Edisson then get M.S. from a REAL college with a decent name when you get out.

These posts make me wish I could go back in time slap the piss outa myself and say go to college first. Or finish up degree BEFORE getting out.

The choice of rate is all a bunch of crap. I was a MM, I now work on anything from automated controls to leaky pipes. I had the choice of any of the rates I just went for the one with the shortest A-school.

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #26 on: Sep 08, 2009, 09:15 »
If he pulls the 4-8 watches, plus qualifications, add to that the 8 hour work day between the 4-8's, catch the movie, catch a nooner, and heaven forbid he learns how to pay pinochle, there won't be much time for anything else.  But if you can pull off getting the general ed (excluding the credits you get from being a navy nuke) out of the way, an AA is easily a doable, even if you learn to play pinochle.  I wanted to be an engineer at 19, then became an accountant at 29, then became an IT manager, life can take you to different places.

When all others have automatic protective features to safeguard their portions of the plant, ELT's ARE the protective features for our portion.

Perhaps true, but when the order comes to throw the Battle Short Switch, or make best speed by going to the torque curves on the reduction gears... well everything in your world has suddenly changed.
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
  • I make alpha particle "direct delivery" systems.
« Reply #27 on: Sep 08, 2009, 09:28 »
Perhaps true, but when the order comes to throw the Battle Short Switch, or make best speed by going to the torque curves on the reduction gears... well everything in your world has suddenly changed.
Does testing the Battle Short Switch count?
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Offline deltarho

• An EOOW asked during his S/Y steam plant testing pre-watch tour, "Shouldn't those scram breakers be open?" K-thunk, K-thunk. "Uh-oh!"
  • Heavy User
« Reply #28 on: Sep 08, 2009, 09:31 »
I think he was saying that the A-gangers look at the ELTs as ladies ;) ya know, all that animal magnetism stuff...

HydroDave,

What program did you use to crop this picture? We cannot see you anymore.  :o
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2009, 09:33 by deltarho »
The above has nothing to do with any real  or imagined person(s).  Moreover, any referenced biped(s) simulating real or imagined persons--with a pulse or not--is coincidental, as far as you know.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #29 on: Sep 08, 2009, 09:32 »

Exactly...."shim to maximum Thot" coming over the 23MC from CIC while you just changed course for where the flagship was (and not an exercise) is something one can't experience while listening to Beastie Boys back in nucleonics  :P

p.s. DeltaZuluRho,  that picture was probably taken in RC berthing, which means it was a joint ET/Bosun production  :P
« Last Edit: Sep 08, 2009, 09:33 by HydroDave63 »

F

« Reply #30 on: Sep 29, 2009, 11:20 »
kindof related and i didn't want to start a new thread.  i've seen PPWS and EWS mentioned i looked up the abbreviations and searched around but still don't fully understand what they are can anyone give a good explanation?

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #31 on: Sep 30, 2009, 12:11 »
EWS is the senior watch stander in the spaces. If done correctly, qualified to the same level as EOOW. He supervises everyone in the engineering spaces outside of maneuvering.

Offline deltarho

• Heavy User
« Reply #32 on: Sep 30, 2009, 04:17 »
EWS is the senior watch stander in the spaces. If done correctly, qualified to the same level as EOOW. He supervises everyone in the engineering spaces outside of maneuvering.

To piggy-back off what you wrote. The EWS can and does relieve the EOOW so that the EOOW can tour the plant during operations. Hence, the stringent qualifications. This is normally about 30 minutes or so in length, but it is long enough for the plant to run drills on the EWS while sitting in the box OR was that the plan all along...?
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2009, 04:18 by deltarho »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?