Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Finally at Charleston, awaiting class.

Author Topic: Finally at Charleston, awaiting class.  (Read 17741 times)

Offline heywaitfourme

• Light User
Finally at Charleston, awaiting class.
« on: Sep 17, 2009, 07:25 »
Well, after my year long battle, yes ONE YEAR, I'm finally here. I made it to the great state of South Carolina on Tuesday. I have become known fairly well down here already, being prior service, I showed up in my Dress Whites with a stack of 10 ribbons, wearing E-3 on my shoulder, with a Service strip on my wrist. Most people know my face, or ask if I'm THAT guy. The place is very friendly and they are allowing me to go and get my wife and housing goods on the coming wednesday.

If anyone has any questions, please ask, and I will do my BEST to answer or find an answer for the question. I fully intend to keep updating posts as to help the new people on the fence about the program. Although I'm not currently in any class, I am a friendly person and have talked with everyone I come into contact with. Some say the schooling is hard, some say it is easy. I won't know until I start, but I will be certain to update this board, or make new posts when I have the time.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2009, 12:03 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Finally at Charelston, awaiting class.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2009, 07:40 »
I meant to give you +K and accidentally gave you -K.

I'll fix that tomorrow.

Good Luck,
GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

midgetts

« Reply #2 on: Sep 17, 2009, 09:50 »
Hopefully we'll be there soon, but seeing as it took a year for you, I'm not sure. My husband is prior enlisted as well (USMC) so you won't be the only one  :)

Best of luck to you!!

Offline kahdgarxi

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2009, 03:12 »
Thanks a lot for sharing heywaitforme. I'm shipping out in October. Can't wait to join you in Charleston. :)

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2009, 07:56 »
Well if you like seafood, I highly recommend Hyman's Seafood downtown.  Perhaps some of the best seafood around.  There are some other great places in North Charleston.  Have fun and enjoy your time there.  I always loved being in Charleston, except during the summer when the "no-see-ums" came out in droves, damn things weren't even deterred by Off Deep Woods.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

Offline Golly Orby

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2009, 07:03 »
Hey, I saw you!  Really friendly, which was pretty nice of you considering I asked you the same question everyone else around here has been asking you.

Thank you for your prior service, and welcome to Charleston.    :)

Offline sovbob

• Fact-Checker
  • Moderate User
  • Vanguard of the Vox Populi
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2009, 01:34 »
...I always loved being in Charleston, except during the summer when the "no-see-ums" came out in droves, damn things weren't even deterred by Off Deep Woods.

I remember those things.  We would always call them "flying teeth".  One incident I particularly recall was standing at attention outside while they did a personnel inspection and having the damn things gnawing away at my flesh.
"Everyone's entitled to be stupid now and then, but you're abusing the privilege."

Offline johnnieslingshot

• Moderate User
  • Let's go bowl-diving
« Reply #7 on: Sep 21, 2009, 07:11 »
I grew up in the Charleston area.  We used to put a dab of Campho Phonique? (spell check) on the tongue.  It seems that the camphor in the product gets secreted through the skin and those damned sand gnats would stay away and the skeeters too.  It always worked.  Might be worth a try when the spring/summer comes about next year.

joncashk

« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2009, 08:24 »
Ahh the no-see-ums.  Nothing beat standing at attention on the pier next to the 635 watching the guy next to you keep twitching and smacking himself.  It was funny until you started doing it yourself. 

You're one of only 2 prior service guys I've seen that actually made it to nuke.  The other guy was a prior Army jumper and was a gold E-5 within 3 months of reporting on board.

hezabear

« Reply #9 on: Sep 22, 2009, 12:09 »
For you guys in Charelston if want a great place to eat go over to Mount Pleasent and try out Bamboo's. Ask for Josh he's the head cook and my son in law, great food and great people there.
Great place to take your lady friend. has an Asian flare to it. tell Brad set you.

midgetts

« Reply #10 on: Sep 23, 2009, 02:19 »

You're one of only 2 prior service guys I've seen that actually made it to nuke.  The other guy was a prior Army jumper and was a gold E-5 within 3 months of reporting on board.

That's the most discouraging thing I've read since finding this site... How many prior service have you seen try?

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2009, 03:22 »
I saw a former HM(FMF) go nuke and did really well for himself.  Funny part is that he was from the next town over from the town I grew up in. 

EasyLivin

« Reply #12 on: Sep 23, 2009, 07:34 »
That's the most discouraging thing I've read since finding this site... How many prior service have you seen try?

Keep in mind, this is an observation from only one person. I have met both of the prior service folks that are mentioned in this thread. I have also met a prior service member who went nuke, got a degree, then got pick up for an officer program. So, there is no need to be discouraged.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #13 on: Sep 23, 2009, 07:52 »
Funny part is that he was from the next town over from the town I grew up in. 

Why is that funny?   :P
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #14 on: Sep 24, 2009, 09:51 »
Why is that funny?   :P

Well it was funny to me becuase very rarely do you meet someone that knows all the same places you do from back home while you are in the Navy.  Just thought it was a neat coincidence(spelled right?).

joncashk

« Reply #15 on: Sep 24, 2009, 12:11 »

I'm not saying that I've seen prior service fail.  Hell, I've barely seen anyone fail...especially in the pipeline.  Most people that I've seen get denuked were on the ship and they just couldn't mentally handle the stress of being an at-sea nuke.  With you being a prior Marine, I don't see you having that problem.  The prior service guy I knew did end up getting denuked...but it was for medical reasons. 

Offline heywaitfourme

• Light User
« Reply #16 on: Oct 10, 2009, 01:12 »
I have been in classes for a week now. I'm doing very well, was appointed class leader, and have made many good friends. I am sorry it's taken so long to respond. Being married, held me back a week due to going to get my wife and getting a house. (brand new constructed, never lived in 4 bed 2.5 bath....it's nice) The schooling is no joke, but with enough effort, I feel anyone could make it through....WITH ENOUGH EFFORT!!

So far, I've only heard of two other prior service from a different branch completely, get picked up nuke. One was the army E-5 stated in here, the other is a tanker who is here now. He's doing VERY well, and is almost finished with Power school.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. I will continue to update this as my time here progresses.

email is heywaitfourme@yahoo.com

Offline Vorschau

• Very Lite User
« Reply #17 on: Oct 18, 2009, 09:39 »
There's a prior army in my class as well. The material isn't that hard in NFAS to be honest. If you're struggling don't slack on your hours, or else you won't be able to see your wife as much as you'd like. ;)

Offline heywaitfourme

• Light User
« Reply #18 on: Oct 31, 2009, 10:36 »
Just thought I'd give this an update.

I'm beginning week 6 and having a BLAST. The schooling is what I expected, but put the time in to actually learn the material and it's a breeze. I finally figured out my study habits, and have gone from doing VERY well, to excelling. I am still Class Leader, and have FINALLY gotten all of my class to pass their PFA. I still personally work 3 of the students, but aside from that, I'm generally out of the house at 6am and home for the night anytime between 6 and 7. It took a while to get a system down, but now that I have it, it's SIMPLE.

I will gladly answer any questions anyone may have.

Offline Creeker

• Moderate User
« Reply #19 on: Oct 31, 2009, 10:45 »
I did my time as a section advisor for NFAS back in the day, and from this quote:

I am still Class Leader, and have FINALLY gotten all of my class to pass their PFA. I still personally work 3 of the students

Your section advisor is probably very grateful to have you, and you have an great future in front of you.

Best of luck!!!

Bill

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #20 on: Oct 31, 2009, 11:20 »
Would someone finally change the thread title PLEASE!

Its Charleston...Charleston.
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Harley Rider

• Moderate User
Re: Finally at Charleston, awaiting class.
« Reply #21 on: Nov 01, 2009, 12:11 »
heywaitfourme ,
I have been following your progress since you first posted here. You are going to do great things,,,If you need any advice feel free to PM me. Keep the press on,,,,

Brett
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2009, 12:14 by Harley Rider »
Despite inflation, a penny is still a fair price for the thoughts of many people

Offline heywaitfourme

• Light User
« Reply #22 on: Nov 01, 2009, 12:54 »
My apologies for the Misspelling of Charleston, maybe a Moderator can change the title for me.

Thank you to those who are reading and following. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

A little more on the 3 students I personally work out. My Section Leader wanted to send them to F.E.P. It's the program students go to that can't pass the PT test or weight and tape. I think of it as fat camp. I personally asked out Chief if I could work with them to keep them from fep, and also to help our class get everyone to pass the PFA, without anyone needing any outside help.

I have received a few emails from some individuals inquiring about the program and the Navy so far, and I hope that I will be able to help any others with any questions or concerns.

imthehoopa

« Reply #23 on: Nov 12, 2009, 06:44 »
I have become known fairly well down here already, being prior service, I showed up in my Dress Whites with a stack of 10 ribbons, wearing E-3 on my shoulder, with a Service strip on my wrist. Most people know my face, or ask if I'm THAT guy.

Haha. I remember walking down the p-way seeing your dress blues on a hanger in the back of the class. You're in the classroom I just graduated out of.

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2009, 10:04 »
Any clues on how I could arrange my marriage after A School and prior to power school?

Thanks in advance =O
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?