Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Prior Enlisted aiming for NUPOC (Subs)  

Author Topic: Prior Enlisted aiming for NUPOC (Subs)  (Read 4668 times)

Offline sonarchick

• Lurker
Prior Enlisted aiming for NUPOC (Subs)
« on: Apr 12, 2012, 08:22 »
I served five years in the a navy as a sonar technician (surface) and got out, courtesy of the program Perform To Serve. No reason was given why; my rate was undermanned, I still have my security clearance, no NJP'S or PFA failures, I had advanced to E4 and was eligible to take the E5 exam, and I certainly didn't want to get out. Rather than focusing on what was lost or what could have been, I am seizing the opportunity to pursue my long time dream of becoming a sub officer. Will having been PTS'd out of the Navy create any problems when I try to go back in the Navy as an officer?

After I got out, I tried to enlist in the reserves in a different rate, and one year of paperwork later I found out that my move to enter the reserves had been denied as well. No reason was given as to why. Will that create any problems?

I am majoring in Physics and I currently have a 3.5 GPA. This upcoming summer semester I will be taking my first semesters of calculus and physics. I will have completed two semesters of both calculus and physics when the Fall 2012 wraps up in December and will be able to apply for the NUPOC program.

If I'm worrying about nothing, feel free to tell me to stop nuking it!

Thank you very much for your time and advice.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Re: Prior Enlisted aiming for NUPOC (Subs)
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25, 2012, 12:20 »
Theres something missing here.
"perform to serve" is just that. Your evals sucked, or there's something you're not telling us.

If its "not so hot" evals, then absolutely, that will affect anything you try to do in the military. Otherwise, wait and talk to a recruiter for better information regarding YOUR specific scenario.

Offline sonarchick

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Apr 25, 2012, 01:25 »
Thank you for your response, I will certainly contact a recruiter about this. Should I contact a recruiter now, or would that be too soon?
I don't want to get into my PTS. That's a very long story better suited for a different means of communication. I will say this; the only thing that kept me from taking the E5 exam and most likely advancing to that pay grade was my chain of command purposefully sending me to a building on base which wasn't even an exam site. That was only one of many similar incidences.

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2012, 01:32 »
Uh yes, blame your chain of command for all those "similar" incidents too.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #4 on: Apr 25, 2012, 03:25 »
So .gov won't have you as enlisted, what makes you think they'd have you as an officer? Just food for thought.

Justin

PS You don't still have a security clearance.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2012, 03:38 »
So .gov won't have you as enlisted, what makes you think they'd have you as an officer? Just food for thought.

Justin

PS You don't still have a security clearance.

He may very well have a security clearance.

I still have an active Secret clearance until june2015. (DoD clearance ofc).

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2012, 03:39 by Starkist »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2012, 03:42 »
He may very well have a security clearance.

I still have an active Secret clearance until june2015. (DoD clearance ofc).

That isn't what I mean. I mean that right now, without any need to know, you don't actually have access to anything secret. As soon as you departed, you don't have clearance. You may not have to do a reinvestigation until June 2015, but you don't have a clearance.

I could be wrong, but that is how it was explained to me when I left the boat for prototype.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Apr 25, 2012, 04:33 »
That isn't what I mean. I mean that right now, without any need to know, you don't actually have access to anything secret. As soon as you departed, you don't have clearance. You may not have to do a reinvestigation until June 2015, but you don't have a clearance.

I could be wrong, but that is how it was explained to me when I left the boat for prototype.

Justin

Oh, in regards to "need to know" yeah :p  But listed, I still hold an active clearance.  You and I know that doesn't mean squat though haha :p

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?