Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Duke CEO for 20minutes = $45 million
honeypot

Author Topic: Duke CEO for 20minutes = $45 million  (Read 11631 times)

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
Duke CEO for 20minutes = $45 million
« on: Jul 16, 2012, 03:00 »
http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/power_city/2012/07/hearing-today-wont-resolve-duke.html?page=all

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-0707-duke-20120707,0,4320431.story

Two weeks ago, regulators approved the merger of two utility companies, Duke Energy and Progress Energy, both based in North Carolina. The merger of smaller Progress with larger Duke created the largest electric utility in the United States. Progress Energy CEO Bill Johnson was approved as CEO of the merged company. It was all very corporate and mundane until the corporate intrigue started. Johnson was on the job for about twenty minutes before board members from the Duke side asked for his resignation, replacing him with Duke CEO Jim Rogers. Not that there’s any need to cry for Johnson: he’ll get $45 million for that twenty minutes of work, and for keeping his trap shut about why he was ousted.

Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

drayer54

Re: Duke CEO for 20minutes = $45 million
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2012, 09:19 »
That's one hell of an hourly wage!

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2012, 10:34 »
I guess I had my eyes set on the wrong career path... Here I was thinking that an education in engineering or engineering technology, with a focus on getting into Operations, was the way to go...

Boy was I mistaken!

I should have learned about golf, spent my time at an exclusive golf club, and wound up rubbing elbows with those elite CEOs until they wound up liking my golf advice enough that they gave me a seat on the board of directors.

No, you should have graduated summa cum laude,...

Gone to law school,...

Clerked at the Circuit level,...

And so on and so forth,...

Johnson graduated from Duke University summa cum laude with a bachelor degree in history. He also obtained a law degree from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 1982. After graduating, Johnson served as a law clerk on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. He later worked as a partner in the Raleigh, North Carolina office of Hunton & Williams. Johnson joined Progress Energy precursor, Carolina Power & Light in 1995. He became President of Progress Energy in 2005, and Chairman and CEO in 2007.

Engineering is a way to go,.... Rickover was an engineer,...

They both probably also addressed elders and/or superiors they did not know well as "sir" or "mam" until someone let them know different,...

8)
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2012, 10:36 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2012, 10:35 »
That's one hell of an hourly wage!

they do say silence is golden,... :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Jul 16, 2012, 10:42 »
They both probably also addressed elders and/or superiors they did not know well as "sir" or "mam" until someone let them know different,...

Was that with or without pointing?  :P

rlbinc

« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2012, 07:23 »
"Sorruh I stole yer electric companeh ..."

- Jimmuh Rodgiz

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2012, 09:18 »
Information surrounding the damaged containment building at the Crystal River nuclear plant has become a point of contention in regulatory hearings following the ouster of former Progress Energy CEO Bill Johnson shortly after its merger with Duke Energy.

http://nuclearstreet.com/nuclear_power_industry_news/b/nuclear_power_news/archive/2012/07/23/execs_3a00_-handling-of-crystal-river-info-played-role-in-ouster-of-progress-ceo-following-merger-with-duke--072301.aspx

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Jul 25, 2012, 04:44 »
Whatever happened to good old DuckAndCover "Union Buster"?

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Jul 25, 2012, 04:53 »
I guess he couldn't handle us.

drayer54

« Reply #9 on: Jul 25, 2012, 05:35 »
Whatever happened to good old DuckAndCover "Union Buster"?

He probably found a better audience and company who was more receptive to union criticism from disgruntled interns.

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Jul 25, 2012, 05:42 »
I still think he exaggerated and overstated. 

Offline Bigchris

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Jul 26, 2012, 07:50 »
It’s probably a good thing that his post and the replies to them were taken down, because nuclear watchdogs that followed that discussion could use the post of the nuclear lapdogs who replied to it, to bolster the idea that the nuclear industry is not concerned with safety and threats to those who are concerned with nuclear safety.

Maybe  his post were removed because a nuclear team leader decided that the nuclear cheerleaders who were critical of duckandcover and his concerns needed to be protected from themselves. That is, the post may have been removed to protect the industry and certain SRO’s from the potential negative ramifications of their own comments.

Perhaps he is no longer with us because he was ethically cleansed.

“Ethic Cleansing

WHISTLEBLOWER ISSUES IN THE NUCLEAR INDUSTRYCONGRESSIONAL HRG.
103-521 “The industry systematically eliminates its critics in a methodology not
Unlike ethnic cleansing —or a more apt description in this situation, "ethic"
cleansing. The industry's ethic cleansing seeks to silence the voices of those
whose only concern is nuclear safety and ethics. An individual who questions
either the inaction of the NRC or the licensee is conveniently and viciously
discredited, demeaned, subject to psychiatric examinations, portrayed as a radical
or a disgruntled employee, and eventually is cleansed by termination or buy-out.“”
INPO NRC GAO HRO Safety Culture Definition An Integrated Approach Jan 2010

drayer54

« Reply #12 on: Jul 26, 2012, 08:03 »
It’s probably a good thing that his post and the replies to them were taken down, because nuclear watchdogs that followed that discussion could use the post of the nuclear lapdogs who replied to it, to bolster the idea that the nuclear industry is not concerned with safety and threats to those who are concerned with nuclear safety.

Maybe  his post were removed because a nuclear team leader decided that the nuclear cheerleaders who were critical of duckandcover and his concerns needed to be protected from themselves. That is, the post may have been removed to protect the industry and certain SRO’s from the potential negative ramifications of their own comments.

“Ethic Cleansing

WHISTLEBLOWER ISSUES IN THE NUCLEAR INDUSTRYCONGRESSIONAL HRG.
103-521 “The industry systematically eliminates its critics in a methodology not
Unlike ethnic cleansing —or a more apt description in this situation, "ethic"
cleansing. The industry's ethic cleansing seeks to silence the voices of those
whose only concern is nuclear safety and ethics. An individual who questions
either the inaction of the NRC or the licensee is conveniently and viciously
discredited, demeaned, subject to psychiatric examinations, portrayed as a radical
or a disgruntled employee, and eventually is cleansed by termination or buy-out.“”
INPO NRC GAO HRO Safety Culture Definition An Integrated Approach Jan 2010

You could be giving waaay too much credit. A disgruntled intern who points his finger and says "you there!" to a union man causing him some feedback that led him to hate unions and all that they do plus feel the need harshly analyze every aspect of their operation.... well, screw him.

I'm sure his first energy plant isn't PERfect, but let's not confuse a baby with a whistle-blower.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #13 on: Jul 26, 2012, 08:25 »
You could be giving waaay too much credit. A disgruntled intern who points his finger and says "you there!" to a union man causing him some feedback that led him to hate unions and all that they do plus feel the need harshly analyze every aspect of their operation.... well, screw him.

But I'll miss the 3 epic paragraphs where he kept telling us how he'd go Roadhouse on the guy in containment, land on the floor in some Jean-Claude VanDamme splits, and then some Greco-Roman wrestling ...

drayer54

« Reply #14 on: Jul 26, 2012, 08:29 »
But I'll miss the 3 epic paragraphs where he kept telling us how he'd go Roadhouse on the guy in containment, land on the floor in some Jean-Claude VanDamme splits, and then some Greco-Roman wrestling ...
Don't doubt him.

Did you see his picture?

Fermi2

« Reply #15 on: Jul 26, 2012, 08:29 »
I did not see one SRO or member give him advice that was out of line. The reason I asked MY question was he and I spent 4 days exchanging private messages with career advice. At no time in those exchanges did I ever tell him to ever back away from any issue. I also advised him to decide what was truly an issue and what wasn't an issue. He accepted that as good advice.
His main concern was he was told by an OM he could get his SRO License immediately out of college. I showed him the ACAD and gave him some real life examples of how that wouldn't happen and that he'd have to do some sort of time in Engineering or work as an NLO for a certain period of time. He assured me otherwise as in his opinion the OM had virtually guaranteed him an SRO position directly out of college. After that I didn't hear from him.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #16 on: Jul 26, 2012, 09:20 »

Not all of us can be Jonathan Livingston Seagull....

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #17 on: Jul 27, 2012, 06:17 »
Not all of us can be Jonathan Livingston Seagull....

For those who don't get it,...

the book wasn't any better,... [coffee]
« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2012, 06:21 by GLW »

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #18 on: Jul 30, 2012, 11:16 »
We lost another one. R.I.P. boyoboy

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?