Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Uniforms at Navy Nuke School?

Author Topic: Uniforms at Navy Nuke School?  (Read 25970 times)

joy_xx

Uniforms at Navy Nuke School?
« on: Dec 19, 2006, 07:04 »
Hi guys,
  I joined Dep about 6 months ago to become a Nuke and I leave for boot camp in less than a month. Eep. But anyway, I'm trying to get all the information I can and I was wondering when you are at your A school, What uniforms do you wear and when? I would assume for class and such you wear like a working uniform or something, but like study sessions and other things.  This may sound like a stupid question and I apologize in advance.. But thanks for taking the time to read my question

~Joy

Samabby

Re: Uniforms at Navy Nuke School?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2006, 10:30 »
Just what you will wear most of the time @ GL - working uniform. Good luck! 8)

ender17

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2006, 02:40 »
Working Uniform (aka: utilities) for the most part.  Fridays...I know when a Power School class graduates it's dress whites/blues, but I can't remember for outside of that.  You'll find out when you get there.  It's part of the indoc.

Offline Shawnee Man

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2006, 04:28 »
In my day, it was tropical whites through nuke school. Only at prototype was dungarees.

Charles U Farley

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2006, 06:53 »

Where was Nuke School back then, Rosie Roads?  ;)

And, I am diggin the socks.  ;D

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2006, 08:43 »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA breath breath breath HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.
tears tears tears

That was the bet thing I have seen in months! 

Rob

PS Is that your boot camp picture from Orlando, your CC maybe? ;D
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

DarkMesa8

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2006, 10:41 »
Your general uniform you wear is your utilities year round.  On Fridays, its pretty much standard to wear your working blues or working whites, depending on the time of the year.  The exception to that is if you have a lab that requires steel toed boots, which will force your class to be in utilities that Friday.

If your class gets on ordered quiet (gets in trouble) you wear your working whites/blues the whole day all week, which can get annoying.

The mechanics A school class night study watch is to be in working whites/blues, unless there is a specific exception authorized by your SLPO allowing the NSW to wear utilities.  EM/ET A school and Power School NSWs must be in utilities, unless they've POd their SLPO and have to stand watch in uniform of the day.

When there's a power school graduation, everybody is in dress whites/blues, except those working on T-Track BMO, BPO, or perimeter.  If you're on watch on T-Track, its working whites/blues and that damned dixie cup hat indoors as well.  Also, if your class has a lab that requires steel toed boots on that graduation day, you will be in utilities.

E4 and up can wear civilian clothes inside of the building for night study after 1630. 

Every few weeks in A school you will stand an inspection in a various uniform, those usually fall on Fridays, so you may be in your dress blues/whites for no reason at all except to get inspected. 

Confusing?

Offline flamatrix99

• Moderate User
  • I really dig you Sir...
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2006, 12:09 »
Your general uniform you wear is your utilities year round.  On Fridays, its pretty much standard to wear your working blues or working whites, depending on the time of the year.  The exception to that is if you have a lab that requires steel toed boots, which will force your class to be in utilities that Friday.

If your class gets on ordered quiet (gets in trouble) you wear your working whites/blues the whole day all week, which can get annoying.

The mechanics A school class night study watch is to be in working whites/blues, unless there is a specific exception authorized by your SLPO allowing the NSW to wear utilities.  EM/ET A school and Power School NSWs must be in utilities, unless they've POd their SLPO and have to stand watch in uniform of the day.

When there's a power school graduation, everybody is in dress whites/blues, except those working on T-Track BMO, BPO, or perimeter.  If you're on watch on T-Track, its working whites/blues and that damned dixie cup hat indoors as well.  Also, if your class has a lab that requires steel toed boots on that graduation day, you will be in utilities.

E4 and up can wear civilian clothes inside of the building for night study after 1630. 

Every few weeks in A school you will stand an inspection in a various uniform, those usually fall on Fridays, so you may be in your dress blues/whites for no reason at all except to get inspected. 

Confusing?

What a pain in the ass!  I forgot what that BS was like...   Once out on a boat life was easier...  Training commands suck..  Glad I joined the navy but more happy that I am out. Been out 9 years and a week.

joy_xx

« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2006, 02:54 »
Wow. Thanks so much guys.  It makes a lot more sense now =)  The thing is, I used to live in Los Angeles, CA and was pursuing modeling and acting out there and wanted to major in fashion and all that fun stuff.  So now that I'm going into the Navy I'm trying to prepare myself for the loss of all artistic creativity when it comes to my attire.  Actually I'm just trying to prepare myself in general for this huge shock.  Thanks again for your wonderful responses and have a Merry Christmas =)

Samabby

« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2006, 09:57 »
I hope that " don't ask, don't tell " is still in force.  ;D

Offline Bighouz107501

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2006, 01:48 »
joy just a heads up....here at nuke school the male to female ratio is said to be about 33:1....i would say mor elike 20:1.......so be prepared to have some of the weirdest guys do anything to get you....dont be like everyother girl and so call "fall in love" with another nuke unless you kno forsure who they are....it happens far to much here because most of the guys are lunatics....just some advice.

DarkMesa8

« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2006, 06:18 »
20:1 sounds closer, especially since summer surge from boot camp just got here.  Regardless, its a lot to a little.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2006, 07:01 »
In my day, it was tropical whites through nuke school. Only at prototype was dungarees.
We were actually wearing "Summer Blue and Winter Blue".  Which was all black in fall and winter and black trousers w/ white shirt in spring and summer (salt - n peppers).  We graduated in Summer Whites, but never wore them any other time at NPS.  Tropical White was the same as Summer White, except the trousers were shorts and worn with white socks.  We never wore those.
Working White was the same as Summer White, but no ribbons or pins - it was only for the cooks and medical types.
Working Blue was the same as Winter Blue w/o the necktie, pins, or ribbons.  Almost nobody ever wore this uniform.
Any of the above could be worn with a combination cap or a white hat (dixie cup) at the discretion of the CO or the individual wearer when not specified.
No "working" uniform could be worn off-base for any reason at any time except for work details in transit.  If you lived off base, you had to drive in to work in your civvies or approved uniform and change on base.
We were in the transition from the coat and tie era to the return of the "Cracker Jack" uniform.  So our dress uniforms were both styles depending again on the individual wearer unless otherwise specified.  They initially issued "Utilities" as a work uniform, but reverted to dungarees - which totally suckedddddd in comparison to the utilities.  They wore out too quick and had patch pockets in front and back of the pants so you couldn't put anything in them.

Does that bring it all back to you?
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

DJM75

« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2006, 03:39 »
Just thought I'd chime in here and let you know that the Navy is going away from Utilities.  They are phasing in BDUs. So you will be going to Camo shortly.  Oh and it's not green CAMO either.  It's either blue or gray I can't remember what they decided.  I just got out in July 06 and that's the last i heard.  I think that they were going to start phasing them in in October of 06 and be required by Oct 07.    They are suppose to take the place of the utilities and the coveralls.  Have fun.  I'm glad I didn't have to wear them.
  Don

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2006, 03:59 »
Liberty uniform: Cretan Camouflage. Nothing better for blending in with a nasty bunch of Creets, sir!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

DJM75

« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2006, 07:02 »
Liberty uniform: Cretan Camouflage. Nothing better for blending in with a nasty bunch of Creets, sir!

GOOOOOOOD  MORNING VIETNAM!!!!!!

Charles U Farley

« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2006, 07:47 »

GOOOOOOOD  MORNING VIETNAM!!!!!!

You want a little advice, don't eat at a restaurant located next to the pound.

shayne

« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2006, 02:51 »
BDUs?  I thought the new utility uniform (I didn't like them) that replaced the Dungarees was the final answer to a good working uniform?

I only remember wearing the dungarees through school with an occasional dress uniform inspection every couple of Fridays. 

Wirebiter

« Reply #18 on: Dec 28, 2006, 03:23 »
Her you go.  For all those wanting to know.  They should be phased in by 2008.....uuggghhhhh! :-[

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=22519

Wirebiter

« Reply #19 on: Dec 28, 2006, 06:49 »
Thanks for the link Wire'Biter.

Personally I liked the Blue Jump Suits (Poopie' Suits) and sneakers we would wear on the submarine.

I think we will still keep those on the Sub side, (once the hatches go shut...who would know!?)
The biggest, and most contravercial change is the E-6 and below working uniform.  It has a kaki shirt that many are opposed to, for the kaki reason.

Rad Sponge

« Reply #20 on: Dec 29, 2006, 08:45 »
The problem with the Khaki uniform is specifically a Navy issue.

In the army, usaf, and usmc the uniform is pretty much identical E-1 through E-9 save for a few insignias and devices.

Move up from E-5 to E-6 to E-7 and you add some stripes and change a collar device.

However, in the Navy, there is a huge diffence between an E-6 and an E-7. The grumblings from the CPO mafia are from a hundred+ years of tradition and lordship over blueshirts. Change that color and the First Class and Chief don't appear that different.

I bet the pyschological effect and inherrently percieved authority will change.

I don't think any other branch has such problems with uniforms that the Navy does. I think its all due to too much tradition impeding functionality and environment.

solarwave

« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2007, 11:44 »
-mon - thurs: utilities, friday is working blues/whites (unless power school grad, then its dress)
-In A-school, you go into study in utilites
-In power school, you can wear civilian clothes to study.
-A-school study watch = Working uniform
-Power school study watch = Utilities.

that should clear it up.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #22 on: Mar 17, 2007, 08:05 »
Thanks for the link Wire'Biter.

Personally I liked the Blue Jump Suits (Poopie' Suits) and sneakers we would wear on the submarine.

Those were nice until they went and got all "military" with them.  Even though I always got to wear sneakers or docksiders while at sea, the poopie suit evolved into an actual uniform.  They made us sew embroidered insignia onto them; dolphins, name, crow on the collar, etc.  It even got to the point where officers and chiefs had to wear khaki belts with theirs.  They were more comfortable than those cheap denim dungarees, but they really turned them into a pain with those insignia and stuff.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #23 on: Mar 17, 2007, 10:39 »
Ah yes... and don't forget the "inspection ready" poopy suit. Seems to be a bit of an oxymoron to me.

Justin

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #24 on: Mar 21, 2007, 08:39 »
Back in the day, those suits were issued for really nasty jobs. Like diving sanitary tanks. Covered in poop on the way out, I can easily visualize the first use of the name poopy suit. Once they became a uniform on subs, subs began using the green coveralls for those nasty jobs.

Like most Navy uniforms, it morphed into an actual uniform that lost the reasoning behind it. (Kind of like the flap on the "Cracker Jacks" that prevented staining the underlying uniform with the traditional tarry long hair.)
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?