Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu

Nuclear Pictures

NukeWorker online photo album.

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base Bldg. 470
The Nuclear Engineering Test Facility resulted from a 1954 Air Force initiative to develop a nuclear powered aircraft. Construction began in 1956 and continued despite cancellation of the nuclear propulsion project the next year. When completed in 1960, the light water cooled test reactor was the Air Force's only research reactor and the seventh largest of its kind in the nation. It had a ten megawatt capacity and could accommodate a full scale jet engine. Its internal facilities were not completed until 1965, the same year the Air Force Institute of Technology accepted operational control and safety responsibility for the reactor. The reactor's first nuclear chain reaction was achieved in April 1965. AFIT, civilian institutions, and Department of Defense agencies used the reactor for a variety of projects, ranging from biomedical studies to solid-state electronics. The reactor was operated for the last time on June 12, 1970 and decommissioned in June 1971.
Keywords: Air Force, Ohio, Reactor, decommissioned

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base Bldg. 470

The Nuclear Engineering Test Facility resulted from a 1954 Air Force initiative to develop a nuclear powered aircraft. Construction began in 1956 and continued despite cancellation of the nuclear propulsion project the next year. When completed in 1960, the light water cooled test reactor was the Air Force's only research reactor and the seventh largest of its kind in the nation. It had a ten megawatt capacity and could accommodate a full scale jet engine. Its internal facilities were not completed until 1965, the same year the Air Force Institute of Technology accepted operational control and safety responsibility for the reactor. The reactor's first nuclear chain reaction was achieved in April 1965. AFIT, civilian institutions, and Department of Defense agencies used the reactor for a variety of projects, ranging from biomedical studies to solid-state electronics. The reactor was operated for the last time on June 12, 1970 and decommissioned in June 1971.

PaloVerde_123.jpg scan0008.jpg bldg470-2.JPG Hot_Cock.jpg DSCN1111.JPG
File information
Filename:bldg470-2.JPG
Album name:Mounder / Wright-Patterson Air Force Base
Rating (4 votes):55555
Keywords:Air / Force, / Ohio, / Reactor, / decommissioned
Date:09/04/07
Credits:Mounder
Filesize:25 KiB
Date added:Sep 04, 2007
Dimensions:250 x 199 pixels
Displayed:2247 times
URL:https://www.nukeworker.com/pictures/displayimage.php?pid=6263
Favorites:Add to Favorites


NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2021 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?