Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu "Nerdy" Nukes honeypot

Author Topic: "Nerdy" Nukes  (Read 79645 times)

tselby

Re: "Nerdy" Nukes
« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2010, 11:55 »
And our last deployment before i retired ,,,, we continually had "Band of Brother" on the TV in the CPO QTRS

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2010, 02:43 »
Some of my boats classics included Army of Darkness and, believe it or not, Dirty Dancing

Army of darkness was a favorite :D  We had a pile of DVD's that we watched over and over.  Not sure what I think about 250 dudes underwater for months at time watching Dirty Dancing.... :D  Whatever floats your boat I guess... Wait that doesnt work either :(

Did you guys have "wrestling matches"? haha

Offline Preciousblue1965

• Very Heavy User
  • "It is good for you, builds character"
« Reply #27 on: Dec 11, 2010, 04:01 »
Army of darkness was a favorite :D  We had a pile of DVD's that we watched over and over.  Not sure what I think about 250 dudes underwater for months at time watching Dirty Dancing.... :D  Whatever floats your boat I guess... Wait that doesnt work either :(

Did you guys have "wrestling matches"? haha

"This is my BOOM-STICK"

Great line.  We also managed to watch Matt Stone and Trey Parker's "Orgasmo" on several occasions.  Great movie if you don't mind really cheesy plots, but then again if you know who Matt Stone and Trey Parker are, you probably don't mind at all.
"No good deal goes unpunished"

"Explain using obscene hand jestures the concept of pump laws"

I have found the cure for LIBERALISM, it is a good steady dose of REALITY!

MacGyver

« Reply #28 on: Dec 11, 2010, 04:05 »
"This is my BOOM-STICK"

Great line.  We also managed to watch Matt Stone and Trey Parker's "Orgasmo" on several occasions.  Great movie if you don't mind really cheesy plots, but then again if you know who Matt Stone and Trey Parker are, you probably don't mind at all.

Fixed it for ya':

:39 - :45; "This is my boomstick!"

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2011, 07:36 by MacGyver »

Fermi2

« Reply #29 on: Dec 11, 2010, 04:16 »
Jennifer Grey was on Dancing With The Stars this year and WOW she's HOT!

dtucker89

« Reply #30 on: Dec 11, 2010, 09:57 »
This is one of the best topics that I have read. By the way, I was in nuke school about 4 years ago. One guy couldn't wait to get to the gym, another was showing off his laser keyboard, and a group of others were speaking of video games (the ones with all the social implications of legitimate nerdiness). This shows my view of the Navy nuclear community about 4 years ago.

-Daniel

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #31 on: Dec 13, 2010, 02:34 »
Sorry to dampen your spirits here, but most Navy nukes are nerds from the time you first meet them to the time you see them again in 20 years down the road.

co60slr

« Reply #32 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:31 »
Here's the top dog Nerdy Nuke of 2010...he doesn't watch things happen, he makes them happen.  Yes folks...Tube Daze.   

First, he has the latest Navy uniform prototype: the Protective Outerspace Omni-Purpose Integrated Exposure suit.   

Navy Recruiting commercial production?

Amazing what you can do with a laptop in 2010.   In the 80s, all we had to be nerdy were a Sony Walkman cassette player, Apple II "Wizardry", and a paper log to doodle our "Navy ideas" in while underway.   

I guess the theme is universal.   It's a tough job...you need something to "decompress" with at the end of the Navy Day.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #33 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:53 »
I guess the theme is universal.   It's a tough job...you need something to "decompress" with at the end of the Navy Day.

JUst trying to picture you typing "mahalito" in while squinting at an 80 column monitor back then....lol

The recruiting ad that most of the nerdy nukes of the 80s had seen was:

« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2010, 07:04 by HydroDave63 »

Offline xobxdoc

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #34 on: Dec 15, 2010, 07:38 »
JUst trying to picture you typing "mahalito" in while squinting at an 80 column monitor back then....lol

The recruiting ad that most of the nerdy nukes of the 80s had seen was:

I remember this one. It was on SNL in the late 70's. I still enlisted anyway. The ad that really got me was a poster of a sub cruising off into the sunset and the caption read, " Your old paper boy has a new route". I later found out that paper boy had to take a cut in pay.

co60slr

« Reply #35 on: Dec 15, 2010, 09:03 »
LOL...

Yeah...and making the paper maps.   Ug.  What the heck were we thinking.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #36 on: Dec 15, 2010, 01:15 »
LOL...

Yeah...and making the paper maps.   Ug.  What the heck were we thinking.

Some of us were so po', we had to play Reach For The Stars and Nukewar in monochrome, or settle for watching others play North Atlantic Convoy Raider is luscious 8-bit color!  :old:

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #37 on: Dec 15, 2010, 03:01 »
Here's the top dog Nerdy Nuke of 2010...he doesn't watch things happen, he makes them happen.  Yes folks...Tube Daze.    

First, he has the latest Navy uniform prototype: the Protective Outerspace Omni-Purpose Integrated Exposure suit.  

Navy Recruiting commercial production?

Amazing what you can do with a laptop in 2010.   In the 80s, all we had to be nerdy were a Sony Walkman cassette player, Apple II "Wizardry", and a paper log to doodle our "Navy ideas" in while underway.  

I guess the theme is universal.   It's a tough job...you need something to "decompress" with at the end of the Navy Day.

haha classic. I think season 1 ep 2 should be mandatory for all nuke-hopefuls to watch.  :D

edit : DAMN YOU! I started watching... I cant stop :( lol. This show is a lot more funny after you are done isnt it haha.
« Last Edit: Dec 15, 2010, 03:04 by Charlie Murphy »

co60slr

« Reply #38 on: Dec 15, 2010, 03:07 »
Sooooooooo,...

which one is you?!?!?!
I'll be Dorkman. 

Wow...people make YouTube videos on anything.  Here we go...flashback to 1981.   If you had 64KB of memory, you were a rich family on the block.  Watch Sir-Tech's Wizardry boot from 5.25" floppy....

co60slr

« Reply #39 on: Dec 15, 2010, 03:10 »
edit : DAMN YOU! I started watching... I cant stop :( lol. This show is a lot more funny after you are done isnt it haha.
My favorite "Hey, Shipwreck" is the episode where the Nuke wanders topside with his TLD (looks like a scuba tank) strapped to his back.   Although, it's a close race with the episode on the unauthorized deenergizing of the Division Officer and the "Navy's Swearing Cessation program". 

Brilliant.

Cycoticpenguin

« Reply #40 on: Dec 15, 2010, 03:28 »
My favorite "Hey, Shipwreck" is the episode where the Nuke wanders topside with his TLD (looks like a scuba tank) strapped to his back.   Although, it's a close race with the episode on the unauthorized deenergizing of the Division Officer and the "Navy's Swearing Cessation program". 

Brilliant.

the diggit vs disgruntled sailor is pretty hilarious. They are all pretty good imo haha.

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #41 on: Dec 15, 2010, 06:06 »
I'll be Dorkman. 

Wow...people make YouTube videos on anything.  Here we go...flashback to 1981.   If you had 64KB of memory, you were a rich family on the block.  Watch Sir-Tech's Wizardry boot from 5.25" floppy....

The highest rated comment for dorkman is the best....

"the virginity is strong in you..."

;D ;D

Offline stephpatton

• Light User
« Reply #42 on: Dec 30, 2010, 09:13 »
I'm on hold right now working at manpower, I see you all from recruit graduation to power school graduation.  I can tell how long you have been coming to the Rickover by how scared you are of khaki shirts and collar devices.  Mostly nerdy kids, no offense, we are all somewhat nerdy.  Guy to girl ratio of about 33 to 1.  (hint, guys::consider dating out of the nuke pool...)
But you meet alot of different people with alot of different interests in the same age range.  Always something to do and some people willing to go do it on your "off" time. 
If you love someone, set them free.  If they come back, set them on fire. -George Carlin

mizzyung

« Reply #43 on: Jan 07, 2011, 12:56 »
Haha...you will definitely have a once in a life time experience at some point in time there, but as far as everyone being a NERD, it's a mixed blend. I've seen some who are dumb as ricks and some who are beyond smart, some who are ghetto, some loud, some cute, some ugly...although i am laughing at the date out in town "hint"...You're lucky you are a guy because it's not easy being a girl at NNPTC. you think because everyone is of age that you are dealing with adults, but it's a lot like high school and you have your cliques of different people/types and you will find a wide variety of personalities.

Offline Jechtm

• Moderate User
« Reply #44 on: Feb 02, 2011, 05:29 »
I'm on hold right now working at manpower, I see you all from recruit graduation to power school graduation.  I can tell how long you have been coming to the Rickover by how scared you are of khaki shirts and collar devices.  Mostly nerdy kids, no offense, we are all somewhat nerdy.  Guy to girl ratio of about 33 to 1.  (hint, guys::consider dating out of the nuke pool...)
But you meet alot of different people with alot of different interests in the same age range.  Always something to do and some people willing to go do it on your "off" time. 

are you the same person that laminates badges for a living?
"Truth is the Daughter of Inspiration;... It is like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory."

~Bruce Lee

Offline NuclearWaste

• Light User
« Reply #45 on: Feb 19, 2011, 09:43 »
I have always figured myself to be nerdy....I've played alot of nerdy games (not really card games)...However my strive for school and obtaining knowledge is increasingly growing.  Right now I'm waiting to be shipped out in May to bootcamp, but it kills me that I'm not taking any classes.  I've learned almost everything in the DEP book that they've gave us, along with consistantly studying SAT Math questions so that I can score well for better chances at achieving the STA-21 program.

It all depends on one's perspective of stereotypes....I consider anyone that is logical enough to consider that Math is a theory instead of a subject would be classified as a nerd.  However, I absolutely do not ridicule people for it, but instead congradulate them.  It takes a strong mind to be a "nerd" and of which can be found in every profession.  Don't let your outside hobbies or games interfere with your goals....Everyone needs a bit of entertainment....And it's that person who chooses what to do in it.  For example....I like to study, and play my instrument on my free time and I'm 19.  However, most people see it that I should be at a party or getting wasted, of which I don't enjoy.

Thanks.

tristalynn08

« Reply #46 on: Feb 21, 2011, 12:31 »
You're lucky you are a guy because it's not easy being a girl at NNPTC.

can you elaborate on this... ?

I'm a future female Nuke. I ship out May 3rd. & I would definitely say I'm a nerd... at heart. I like math, I love to read and I'm drawn to anything intellectually stimulating.  However, *not tooting my own horn in anyway* I have definitely been described as “good looking & out going.” I love to party and have a good time. This is something I’ve been worried about since signing up to be a Nuke… the ratio of 33:1 guys to girls. All of the responses on this website have been extremely helpful, but almost all of them are also from a male point of view. Can you guys describe what the girls are like down there? And as a female is it a lot harder and do you think we get discriminated against? The last thing I want is for all the guys (fellow classmates & instructors) to think I’m just a “dumb girly girly” and not a student working hard to make it through the pipeline.

Offline NuclearWaste

• Light User
« Reply #47 on: Feb 21, 2011, 08:06 »
can you elaborate on this... ?

I'm a future female Nuke. I ship out May 3rd. & I would definitely say I'm a nerd... at heart. I like math, I love to read and I'm drawn to anything intellectually stimulating.  However, *not tooting my own horn in anyway* I have definitely been described as “good looking & out going.” I love to party and have a good time. This is something I’ve been worried about since signing up to be a Nuke… the ratio of 33:1 guys to girls. All of the responses on this website have been extremely helpful, but almost all of them are also from a male point of view. Can you guys describe what the girls are like down there? And as a female is it a lot harder and do you think we get discriminated against? The last thing I want is for all the guys (fellow classmates & instructors) to think I’m just a “dumb girly girly” and not a student working hard to make it through the pipeline.

Well I can't tell you what it's going to be like, but I can give you some help.  First, congradulations on becoming a nuke! I ship out May 4th lol so cool beans.  Second, with a ratio of 33:1 guys to girls, it's ridiculous to think that there isn't going to be discrimination.  Women will always be descriminated against, and so will every other popular media stereotypes out there.  The only advice that I can offer you is to keep head strong, and don't let anyone give you shit about being a female Navy Nuke.  The way to counter that "dumb girly girly" is being top of your class, and acing every exam/inspection that's out there.  Last but not least, men will always degrade your true potiential, but you must change their perspective.  What I mean is, become top of your class, work your hardest, and don't be let down by any comments that anyone makes.  Just make those insults, or whatever you might call them, motivation and momentum to keep moving forward.

Best of luck.

-Thanks.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #48 on: Feb 21, 2011, 08:22 »
Second, with a ratio of 33:1 guys to girls, it's ridiculous to think that there isn't going to be discrimination.  Women will always be descriminated against, and so will every other popular media stereotypes out there. 

WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

There is no discrimination against women. You are judged on the basis of your performance and your professional bearing.  Male or female, if you work hard, you will be treated appropriately. 

I suggest that you lose your jaded outlook prior to shipping.  There is no room for sailors that discriminate or tolerate discrimination in my navy!  It is not okay, ever.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

JustinHEMI05

« Reply #49 on: Feb 21, 2011, 08:27 »
WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

There is no discrimination against women. You are judged on the basis of your performance and your professional bearing.  Male or female, if you work hard, you will be treated appropriately. 

I suggest that you lose your jaded outlook prior to shipping.  There is no room for sailors that discriminate or tolerate discrimination in my navy!  It is not okay, ever.

Very well said.
Justin

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?