Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Completely in the dark about what to expect honeypot

Author Topic: Completely in the dark about what to expect  (Read 4530 times)

nashsumm

Completely in the dark about what to expect
« on: Nov 07, 2011, 04:15 »
Via USAJOBS, as a civilian, I am in the process of accepting a job as a Physical Science Technician (Radiation Control Technician) with Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard and IMF at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

During this whole process of sending the recruiters background information, forms, fingerprints, etc. I have yet to gain any perspective about what this job will be like or what I am expected to do. During the phone interview I heard mention of:

-First I will go to Norfolk, Virginia for 4 months of Nuclear training school? (Do I get room and board? Do I get paid?)
-Mandatory 3 years of working due to the training they provide me. (Can I not quit if I don't like it? Could I resign and just not work as a RCT for a private company?)

Thank you for any help even if it is just directing me to another thread!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Completely in the dark about what to expect
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2011, 04:23 »
Via USAJOBS, as a civilian, I am in the process of accepting a job as a Physical Science Technician (Radiation Control Technician) with Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard and IMF at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

During this whole process of sending the recruiters background information, forms, fingerprints, etc. I have yet to gain any perspective about what this job will be like or what I am expected to do. During the phone interview I heard mention of:

-First I will go to Norfolk, Virginia for 4 months of Nuclear training school? (Do I get room and board? Do I get paid?)
-Mandatory 3 years of working due to the training they provide me. (Can I not quit if I don't like it? Could I resign and just not work as a RCT for a private company?)

Thank you for any help even if it is just directing me to another thread!

Someone at either HR or Code 105 should be able to answer all these. Good luck at the "No Can Do"....oops, " No Ka Oi " shipyard ;)

HalfHazzard

« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2011, 07:46 »
Ok, I couldn't resist...  "Second shift bra"

Mahalo!

Offline anmaku91

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2011, 11:57 »
You will get paid while in Norfolk. You'll be provided with an apartment in the area. During school you'll receive per diem for meals and incidentals. As for the 3 year requirement, you can quit whenever you want. I believe the shipyard can seek to have you re-imburse them for the cost of training. This is a significant cost. As to what you'll be doing, typical Rad Pro stuff. Surveys and job coverage. Hope that helps.

LaFeet

« Reply #4 on: Nov 09, 2011, 10:27 »
 It will be a good foot in the door for RP work.  Keep in mind,  the Navy's Nuclear Power program typically deals with a limited range of isotopes.

You will be dealing mainly with Cobalt-60 and Chromium-51.  you may dabble with some alphas but those really only come into play with nuke weapons on board.

Get the schooling and do well.  You can suffer for the first few years and then move on to the commercial world.

Good luck

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?