Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Hoping for NUPOC

Author Topic: Hoping for NUPOC  (Read 3582 times)

Offline trR56

• Very Lite User
Hoping for NUPOC
« on: Nov 13, 2011, 03:56 »
Hello,

I've been lurking between nukeworker and nukewarrior for the past month since discovering the NUPOC program and this will be my first post on either forum.

Academically I think I meet the requirements for the program, but now I am questioning my current degree program. I have an AA in Engineer in which I took Calc I, Calc II, Calc III, Dif Eq, Physics I with Calc, Physics II with Calc, and Engineering Statics. All of these courses I earned A's and B's and had a cumulative 3.45 GPA for the degree. Currently I am attending Embry-Riddle pursuing a BS in Professional Aeronautics. I spoke with an enlisted recruiter last week and it didn't seem to cause any issues to him.

I am currently gathering my official transcripts together so that he can forward them to the officer recruiter.

I felt very confident for a while, but the more I read, the more I notice that NUPOC candidates are pursuing Bachelor's in the engineering field. I'm not sure if my Associates holds any weight and/or if my Aeronautical degree is considered a technical degree.

Worst case, I could switch back to an engineering degree if required, as the Navy has been my career goal since a child and Nuclear Submarines is definitely where I want to work.

Thank you all for any help you can provide.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Hoping for NUPOC
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2011, 07:24 »
Hello,

I've been lurking between nukeworker and nukewarrior for the past month since discovering the NUPOC program and this will be my first post on either forum.

Academically I think I meet the requirements for the program, but now I am questioning my current degree program. I have an AA in Engineer in which I took Calc I, Calc II, Calc III, Dif Eq, Physics I with Calc, Physics II with Calc, and Engineering Statics. All of these courses I earned A's and B's and had a cumulative 3.45 GPA for the degree. Currently I am attending Embry-Riddle pursuing a BS in Professional Aeronautics. I spoke with an enlisted recruiter last week and it didn't seem to cause any issues to him.

I am currently gathering my official transcripts together so that he can forward them to the officer recruiter.

I felt very confident for a while, but the more I read, the more I notice that NUPOC candidates are pursuing Bachelor's in the engineering field. I'm not sure if my Associates holds any weight and/or if my Aeronautical degree is considered a technical degree.

Worst case, I could switch back to an engineering degree if required, as the Navy has been my career goal since a child and Nuclear Submarines is definitely where I want to work.

Thank you all for any help you can provide.

If everything you say is true, you are a good candidate.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline trR56

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2011, 10:04 »
If everything you say is true, you are a good candidate.

Thank you very much.

My last transcript came through this afternoon so I will be contacting my recruiter tomorrow so we can get these sent to the officer recruiter. I am very excited to get the ball rolling.

Offline trR56

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2011, 03:18 »
So my officer advisor sent my transcripts for review by the regional officer. Because my Bachelor's program at ERAU is currently online, he says that won't make me competitive. She is going to email him again to see if I will be competitive if I switch my classes to mainly on-campus or if I switch all together to an all on-campus university.

Very disappointing news since I really want to be on this path as a career. Hopefully I'll have a solution soon so to be on track.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?