Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Question About SWO(N)

Author Topic: Question About SWO(N)  (Read 15135 times)

Offline silverstar808

• Light User
Question About SWO(N)
« on: Jan 14, 2012, 02:09 »
Today I was thinking about going sub officer or surface warfare officer, then I recall reading on the forum that subs usually have 150-200 members, while an aircraft carrier have about 5000. So I am thinking, are there more nuclear reactors on the ship than the sub? Will each officers have the chance to qualify for different positions working with the reactor on the ship? I'm sure the sub officers will have the chance since the crew population is much smaller.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: Question About SWO(N)
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2012, 03:59 »
Yes carriers have more reactors than subs. Not every member of either crew works with the reactors. In fact, a small fraction of a carrier crew does and typically less than half of the sub crew. Even then, most of those are enlisted. Also, officers have a set qualification path which differs from the enlisted side, that I will let one of the people that have actually walked the path speak to, so you need not worry about your opportunities to "work with the reactor."

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2012, 09:48 »
So I am thinking, are there more nuclear reactors on the ship than the sub?
[/youtube]

LaFeet

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2012, 05:12 »
On a sub you will have to stand (successfully) watch at all the stations (Mechanical, Electrical, Chemistry, & Reactor Control) prior to qualifying as Engineering Officer of the Watch (EOOW).

You will also have to qualify the forward watch stations... so bone up.  All this and only one reactor (our only dual reactor sub was decommissioned years ago).

I can not vouch for Officer quals on targets....but they do have standards to follow.

drayer54

« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2012, 05:29 »
On a sub you will have to stand (successfully) watch at all the stations (Mechanical, Electrical, Chemistry, & Reactor Control) prior to qualifying as Engineering Officer of the Watch (EOOW).

You will also have to qualify the forward watch stations... so bone up.  All this and only one reactor (our only dual reactor sub was decommissioned years ago).

I can not vouch for Officer quals on targets....but they do have standards to follow.

Same thing up top, only on a surface ship, the window seat actually has a window on the topside watches.

Different progression path though. The JO path for a SWO is much different than for a sub officer.

Offline drewcwsj

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2012, 10:56 »
All sub JOs are nukes and must qualify on every watchstation (front half and back half) on the boat in order to wear gold dolphins.

One huge benefit of subs is the smaller crew size. You will never be part of a more tight knit team than on a sub.

One funny story. I went through nuke school with an O5 Aviator in my class. He was slated for carrier XO duty and then command but the NAVY requirement is that all captains of nuclear powered vessels will be nuclear qualified. Carriers have an additional requirement that you also must be an aviator. So the Commander got to spend a year in nuke school and prototype. He had some great stories about his time earning his wings in the early 70's. The stuff they got away with back then was incredible.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2012, 11:51 »
All sub JOs are nukes and must qualify on every watchstation (front half and back half) on the boat in order to wear gold dolphins.

I believe Supply Officers are the exception to that....
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline drewcwsj

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2012, 12:17 »
Forgot about the Chop...but supply officers are not line officers and are not in the chain of command. About the only thing they can qualify for is Diving Officer. In fact if there is a disaster on a sub and the only two officers left alive were the Chop and a non nuclear SWO ensign who was just visiting, then the SWO would be in command.

LaFeet

« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2012, 05:10 »
I think the crew and the COB might have some say in that matter.... ::)

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2012, 09:30 »
I think the crew and the COB might have some say in that matter.... ::)

I was the cook, the crew and the COB were taken care of....

Junior Ensigns with attitudes however.... their meals were never cooked to 165 degrees....  :o
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline silverstar808

• Light User
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2012, 04:42 »
By the way, is there racism in the Navy? I am a Chinese American...

HalfHazzard

« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2012, 07:55 »

If you look hard enough, you find racism just about anywhere you look in our society.

By and large though, the Navy is not racist, and leadership (including myself) goes to great lengths to keep it away from the service.

You can pick between the two answers I've given you and make up your mind.

On a side, I'm beginning to wonder if the OP has ever left the confines of the chair he uses to surf the internet.
« Last Edit: Jan 19, 2012, 07:57 by HalfHazzard »

LaFeet

« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2012, 10:31 »
Im not a racist   I just hate biggets :D

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2012, 01:23 »

Of course theres racism in the Navy... however, you being an officer, I doubt you would hear anything... if you did, you would have the authority to manage it yourself.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2012, 04:54 »

On a side, I'm beginning to wonder if the OP has ever left the confines of the chair he uses to surf the internet.

I am wondering this myself. He is all over the place on these forums, up to and including PMing me asking me MY credentials to comment on SRO/RO pay scales.  :-\

"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2012, 01:04 »
I am wondering this myself. He is all over the place on these forums, up to and including PMing me asking me MY credentials to comment on SRO/RO pay scales.  :-\

Must be his fear of being a "soldier"...

Offline silverstar808

• Light User
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2012, 01:38 »
If you look hard enough, you find racism just about anywhere you look in our society.

By and large though, the Navy is not racist, and leadership (including myself) goes to great lengths to keep it away from the service.

You can pick between the two answers I've given you and make up your mind.

I don't really understand your concern... do I ever do anything else besides surf the internet? I'll answer it anyway I guess. Yeah I go to school, work, piano, online game with friends. But I don't have any friends or family members working in this industry, hence the xx amount of questions from me. Eccentric question...

Offline silverstar808

• Light User
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2012, 01:40 »
Re: Higgs,

I PMed you because I found a discrepancy among you and other sources with the pay scales, just wanted to clarify a little more. Also, do you dislike noobies posting on the forum to learn?

Re: Starkist,

Good assumption, but not quite.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2012, 01:54 »
If you research my posts, you'll know that I do not dislike noobs posting.

Offline silverstar808

• Light User
« Reply #19 on: Jan 20, 2012, 02:01 »
That's good... but so uh why were you concerned about me all over the forum and PMing?

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2012, 02:02 »
That's good... but so uh why were you concerned about me all over the forum and PMing?

Because we have a not so good past of insincere people wasting our time. However, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Offline silverstar808

• Light User
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2012, 02:13 »
I see.. that's interesting. I just want to be 101% clear on what I'm about to get into once I get in NUPOC, and what I'm about to encounter in the commercial side once I get out. Me taking the time to read and post and PM around the forum should show a somewhat solid interest in the program, and not wasting my time as well as your professional advice... On a side note, I went through MEPS today and it was done in 3.5 hours; application package will be sent out soon.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2012, 02:31 »
I see.. that's interesting. I just want to be 101% clear on what I'm about to get into once I get in NUPOC, and what I'm about to encounter in the commercial side once I get out. Me taking the time to read and post and PM around the forum should show a somewhat solid interest in the program, and not wasting my time as well as your professional advice... On a side note, I went through MEPS today and it was done in 3.5 hours; application package will be sent out soon.

Fair enough. Just understand where our skepticism came from.

Good luck and keep us posted!

LaFeet

« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2012, 05:20 »
Just remember that things may change some by the time you leave the Navy.

Also, for your benefit, just remember that there may be "unedgemacated" enlisted folks that can run circles around you in various topics.  Keep in mind that you all are a team and take the better parts of the individuals and make them all a whole.

That was the hardest lesson I had to beat into officers when they came on board.  Those that got it excelled, those that thought I was just a stupid enlisted man got the cold shoulder during drills (We ONLY did the immediate actions as required - the rest was supposed to be directed by the EOOW.)

Good luck and thank you for your service - Lafeet ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?