Pilots, Flight Attendants Have Greater Risk of Radiation-Related Cancer Death Than Other Professions

Started by Marlin, Aug 18, 2026, 01:28

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Marlin

Pilots, Flight Attendants Have Greater Risk of Radiation-Related Cancer Death Than Other Professions

I would like to see the rebuttal to this study many studies on radiation do not stand up to review. I did a little RadCon math a method to do field radiation assessments I learned in the Navy as an ELT (Engineering Laboratory Technician).

Flight attendants typically work between 12 and 14 days per month, which translates to about 144 to 168 days of flying in a year with 65 to 85 flight hours per month.

A coast-to-coast exposure is four millirem due to elevation that the plane flies at.

Not all flights are coast to coast so assume I assumed 2 millirem a flight.

85 hours a month is 1020 hours a year.

2 millirem times 1020 is 2040 millirem/year.

The average annual exposure for a nuclear power plant worker is 100 millirem/year bearing in mind that many monitored individuals do not receive any detectable exposure. Mine as a job shopper at many plants (26) was closer to 2500/yr (78 to 94).

YMMV  8)


https://hms.harvard.edu/news/pilots-flight-attendants-have-greater-risk-radiation-related-cancer-death-other-professions

Mounder